DOB 19 June 1983
Turned Pro 1999
Highest Tournament Break 147 - Jiangsu Classic 2009, UK Championship 2013
- 7 Ranking event wins including: 2012 UK Championship, 2014 World Championship, 2015 German Masters, 2015 China Open, 2016 World Championship
- 3x Masters Champion (2008,2010,2013)
- A remarkable Crucible performance secured a second world title for Mark Selby in 2016. Struggling to reach his best form in the early rounds, he produced gritty displays to battle past Robert Milkins, Sam Baird and Kyren Wilson. The Leicester potter then played great snooker in the last session of his semi-final with Marco Fu to force his way to a 17-15 win. Selby led for the entire final in an 18-14 victory over Ding Junhui, to become only the sixth player to win more than once at the Crucible.
- Earlier in the season he recorded a win at the 2016 Gdynia Open. Victories over the likes of John Higgins and Marco Fu saw Selby reach the final where he dispatched Martin Gould 4-1 to take home the title.
- Selby won three events during the 2014/15 season, though he was ultimately to become the latest victim of the so-called Curse of the Crucible.
- He started his campaign strongly with victory at the 2014 Riga Open following a 4-3 defeat of Mark Allen. Later in the season Selby won six matches to reach the final of the 2015 German Masters. He conquered close friend Shaun Murphy in an exciting contest 9-7. Selby sealed a sixth career ranking title at the 2015 China Open, after thrashing Gary Wilson 10-2 to pick up the £85,000 prize. Shortly after, seeking to retain his World Championship crown, Selby succumbed to a 13-9 defeat to Anthony McGill in the second round.
- A year earlier Selby guaranteed his place in snooker folklore, winning the sport’s biggest prize for the first time. He defeated Ronnie O’Sullivan 18-14 at the Crucible to become World Champion and pick up £300,000.
- At the 2013 UK Championship in the semi-finals, Selby enjoyed a historic moment as he made the 100th official 147 in competition play. His maximum banked him £59,000 and finished with a superb pot on the last black to the centre pocket.
- Selby captured the 2012 UK Championship in York by beating Shaun Murphy 10-6 in the final. Just a few weeks later, he won another of snooker’s big three events, defeating Neil Robertson 10-6 to win his third Masters title.
- The Leicester cueman has enjoyed great success at the Masters. He won his first title in 2008 after a 10-3 demolition of Stephen Lee. Selby was then involved in one of the game’s great finals as he came back from 9-6 down to defeat Ronnie O’Sullivan 10-9.
- The Leicester City fan’s first breakthrough came at the 2002 China Open when, aged just 18, he beat Stephen Hendry and Ronnie O’Sullivan to reach the semi-finals before losing to Anthony Hamilton.
- Selby proved in 2006 that he also has a knack for pool as he won the World 8-Ball Championship, beating Darren Appleton 11-7 in the final.