D.O.B. 17 Sep 1969
Lives Ranelagh, Dublin
Turned Pro 1990
Highest Tournament Break 147 - Paul Hunter Classic 2012
- 6 Ranking event wins including: 1993 Welsh Open, 1997 World Championship, 2001 Welsh Open, 2006 Malta Cup
- Doherty started the 2015/16 season strongly, reaching the last 16 of the 2015 Riga Open on a run which included a 4-1 victory over Mark Selby.
- The Dubliner also reached the last 32 stage of the 2016 German Masters and 2016 Welsh Open.
- He made the first 147 break of his career in 2012 at the Paul Hunter Classic in Germany.
- Doherty’s most recent ranking event win came at the 2006 Malta Cup. The Irishman claimed wins over the likes of Stuart Bingham and Stephen Maguire before scoring a stunning 9-8 victory over John Higgins in the final.
- The crowning glory of his career to date came in 1997 when he ended Stephen Hendry’s five-year unbeaten streak at the Crucible with an 18-12 victory in the final.
- He became the first player to win the world title at junior, amateur and professional level. Doherty was welcomed home by some 250,000 fans on the streets of Dublin and voted Ireland’s Sports Personality of the Year.
- The Irishman reached his second world final a year later, but suffered an 18-12 defeat at the hands of John Higgins.
- His third final came in 2003, when he made a remarkable fightback against Paul Hunter, winning 17-16 from 15-9 down. He fell just short in the final after 18-16 loss to Mark Williams.